See books written by Paul Pakusch at https://www.amazon.com/author/paulpakusch



Saturday, February 12, 2022

Sunday Blog for February 13, 2022

I started this blog years ago, before social media became such a thing. I’ve always enjoyed writing. I let the blog slip. I’ve had short-term restarts through the years, but usually felt overwhelmed by keeping up with it on a daily basis. That was too much. I’ve decided to try a weekly approach. I thought, “How about publishing it when most people are home, like on a Sunday morning?” It’s gonna replace most of what I’ve posted on Facebook. Instead of impulsively posting thoughts on Facebook, I’ll put them in my blog draft through the week. Then I can expand on, revise, or delete any impulsive comments.

I’m making it a policy that anything that goes on my blog stays in my blog. Comments about my blogs are welcome, but they have to be posted within my blog, not on Facebook. I’m not going to respond to comments that people post about my blog on my Facebook page. So, feel free to comment below.


I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I love how I can connect with nearly a thousand friends (do I really have that many friends?), but I hate the arguing. And I hate the idiotic way Facebook treats people. No, you can’t blame the government for that. Facebook is a private entity; you don’t own your Facebook page, Meta Platforms, Inc. owns it. They can censor or delete your page at will. You want your own website? Pay for it. I did have a situation recently where Facebook’s robot warned me that a comment I made on a complete stranger’s post was “against community standards.” That was a wake-up call. First of all, the comment I tried to make was in no way against any standards. But you can’t argue with Facebook’s robots. I want my Facebook page so I can stay in touch with friends and promote my drumming and wedding business. There is NO WAY I want a complete stranger to be the cause of me going into Facebook Jail or some idiotic “punishment.” So, for that and other reasons, I am limiting my Facebook activity from now on.


Looks like people have had enough of billionaires. They should dismantle Bezos yacht's masts so it will fit under the historic bridge, not the bridge itself.

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/09/1079568745/jeff-bezos-yacht-de-hef-bridge-rotterdam-eggs?utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr


Hey people, STOP GETTING MEDICAL ADVICE FROM POLITICIANS AND TALK SHOW HOSTS!! Listen to your own doctor!! And keep your friends out of it, too. Their medical needs are different from your own.


Masks work. But they are ineffective when not used with other means to prevent Covid from spreading; washing hands, sanitizing surfaces, handling utensils, etc. People have been required to wear masks at work, school, etc. But when the same group gets together socially without masks, what's the point? And so many people don't wear masks properly. The nose is exposed or they drop the masks down like chin straps. Again, what's the point?


Well, I'm ready to stop all the social distancing procedures. I was in favor of all this until we had a vaccine. Now that we have it, we know it works, and the majority of the population has been vaccinated, we all know what to do to protect ourselves.


"If you're sick, stay home." Makes sense. So why do some businesses reward people who never take a sick day?


I see the car lots are filled up again. The shortage of cars is what drove the prices up. It's all about supply and demand. When things were shut down because of Covid, there was no way to get new cars into the U.S. That drove up the price of the remaining supply of cars. It's economics 101. I see people giving the President too much credit or blame for prices. It's the same with gas. There are a lot of factors that drive up or drop the price of gas. But at this time, you could blame Putin.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/oil-prices-slip-hot-us-inflation-concerns-2022-02-11/


And now this truckers' protest is causing shortages. People have the right to protest, but I don’t see how this truckers' thing is doing anything other than slowing down the economy and driving prices up even more by causing a shortage of items needing to be shipped. Workers in the auto industry are losing wages as a result.


But seriously, who is advocating this protest?

https://www.mediamatters.org/coronavirus-covid-19/fox-news-goes-all-promoting-anti-vaccine-mandate-canadian-truckers


Rich vs. poor. Have you noticed the rich like to post "private" at the entrance to their big fancy houses while the rest of us common folk put out "welcome" mats.


Have you ever thought of billionaires being hoarders? They hoard money!


After receiving a gift card, we finally tried out Chick-Fil-A. I don’t know what all the fuss is about. It was OK; didn’t taste any better than any other fast food I’ve had.


I’ll leave you this week with a poem I wrote a few years ago. This was inspired by a wedding that I officiated. It’s one of the poems in my poetry book, ‘60 to 60.

Slow Dance


She sat, smiling

Thin, frail and elderly

Reveling the celebration

She asked, hoping

“Will you dance with me?”

Her eyes, lit

Grand anticipation

“Slow,” she said

“It has to be slow”

We waited for a soothing rhythm

She rose, gently

Taking her delicate hand

I guided her to the dance floor

“Tighter,” she said

“Hold me tighter”

I held her close to my chest

Eyes closed

Time stood still

Caressed in sentimental warmth

Reminiscing

She relished anew

Memories of her youthful days

The song ended

A graceful twirl

Then back to her granddaughter’s day

No comments:

Post a Comment