See books written by Paul Pakusch at https://www.amazon.com/author/paulpakusch



Saturday, March 24, 2018

My Memories of Louise Slaughter

By Paul Pakusch
I was able to catch some TV coverage of Louise Slaughter's funeral Friday morning. I don't know why I should have been surprised by this, but it caught me off guard that Hillary Clinton was in town for this. It reminded me of how much of an impact Ms. Slaughter had not only in the Rochester area, but also in Washington and on legislation for the whole country of which she was a part of. I never really got to know her personally, but I did cross paths with her on a number of occasions through the years. Certainly everyone who knew her had nothing but good things to say about her.
Her tenure in Washington was about the same number of years that I worked at WHEC TV 10. I was a young technician when she was first elected. I remember her coming into our studios to be interviewed about her new experiences as a congresswoman. She would come back from time to time through the years.
I was an officer of NABET-CWA Local 22, the union that represented workers at my station and at WROC Channel 8. When we were in negotiations, she gave us support.
As a drummer in marching bands, I always knew to look for her in the reviewing stand at downtown Rochester parades. It was odd to not see her there last week during the St Patrick's Day parade.
Louise Slaughter was a legend in our community. She will definitely be missed.

1 comment: