See books written by Paul Pakusch at https://www.amazon.com/author/paulpakusch



Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Paul Pakusch

In 2013, while on a trip to Memphis, Tennessee with my daughter, Kristi, we visited the National Civil Rights Museum to see the historic Lorraine Motel, where Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated.  Part of the museum was undergoing an extensive renovation at the time, but we were able to walk around the Motel.  I felt humbled by being there.  I was 7 years old when King was assassinated, so I didn't really understand who he was at the time. I remember I was watching my favorite TV show, "Bewitched," when ABC broke in with a News Bulletin about him being shot.

I was humbled by being there.  We stood on the historic spot on the balcony and I could see the window from where the shots allegedly came from.  Kristi felt a little bit different; I think she was a little freaked out by standing where "someone got murdered."  I think she had a point.

Here's a few pictures from our visit that day.  They show the Lorraine Motel, the spot on the balcony where King was standing, us by King's motel room, and a view of the window from where the shots allegedly came from:






No comments:

Post a Comment