See books written by Paul Pakusch at https://www.amazon.com/author/paulpakusch



Friday, March 26, 2021

My Employer is a Top Place to Work in 2021!

Yesterday the Democrat and Chronicle announced that my employer was listed as a top place to work in 2021. 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/money/business/2021/03/25/rochester-top-workplaces-2021-ranked-winners-list/4557762001/

This is the third year in a row that Spencerport School District made the list. Here is the yummy benefit I received for it!


I do agree that it is a great place to work. I started out as a bus driver in the fall of 2014. Several years later, I quit to work another job, but being away from the Spencerport School District made me realize how much I missed it, so I went back.

I've always been treated well by management. It's no secret that there is a shortage of bus drivers across the country. Many people have told me that they admire what I do and could never do it themselves. It's really not as bad is people make it out to be. Yes, you do drive a large vehicle, and you do need to learn how to deal with dozens of children on your bus. But all of that is covered in training; the training is very thorough. They teach you procedures to follow. If you follow the procedures, you should not have any problems. For me, driving a large school bus was not that big a step up from driving my minivan. It has automatic transmission. Once you get used to the size of the vehicle and learning to watch the space around you, it becomes second nature after a while. The other thing you need to get used to is how to operate the air brakes. Depressing the brake pedal on a vehicle with air brakes is no different did any other vehicle, but you do need to know how the air pressure system works prior to operating your vehicle. 

We have a road test every year to keep us on our toes, safety seminars, and other routine training. The support system is great when it comes to dealing with children, and some of our safety seminars cover topics that we need to know for children of all types and needs. 

If you're looking for something different that has perks of a lot of time off, consider learning to drive a school bus. Every school district needs drivers. If there was one drawback, I think bus drivers should be paid more. Maybe that will come in time. If you want to come and drive a school bus for Spencerport School District, you will have the benefit of being at a top place to work, and the best benefit is that you get to work with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment