See books written by Paul Pakusch at https://www.amazon.com/author/paulpakusch



Monday, April 5, 2021

Comics

 A couple days ago, I posted a blog about my family's old station wagon.  I wrote about how my mother used to buy comic books for my sisters and me to read in the back of the car while travelling.  It got me thinking about the characters in the comics I read.  I was never into the super-hero comics, such as Superman, Batman or Spiderman.  I enjoyed a lot of the Harvey Comics, such as Casper the Friendly Ghost, Little Audrey, Little Lotta, Little Dot and Richie Rich.  The Disney series was a favorite, with Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Scrooge McDuck, Huey, Dewey & Louie, and April, May & June.  I also loved the Archie comic series.



I'd have to say my all-time favorite comic when I was younger was Dennis the Menace.  I just got a kick out of all the shenanigans he pulled, often involving his friends Margaret and pal Joey.  Poor Mr. Wilson, and the ever-loving Mrs. Wilson.


While I accumulated a nice collection of comic magazines and books, I also read the comic section in the daily newspapers and especially looked forward to the color Sunday section.  I was a voracious reader of comics.  I have no doubt that it helped me with developing my reading skills as a youngster.  My dad called me a bookworm.

We usually got up early on Christmas morning to open the gifts that Santa Claus had brought us.  I remember one Christmas where, because we were up early, my parents wanted the whole family to take a nap in the early afternoon.  Once I got into bed, instead of sleeping, I read an entire Disney children's novel about Mickey Mouse.  I just couldn't put the book down.

No comments:

Post a Comment