See books written by Paul Pakusch at https://www.amazon.com/author/paulpakusch



Sunday, August 18, 2019

Dashcam Adventures 1

Since I do a lot of driving for both the school district, my marching bands, and my wedding officiant business, I'm always witnessing a lot of bad driving habits.  Drivers on their cell phones, passing the red lights of school buses, speeding, not using turn signals, using lanes and shoulders inappropriately, cutting each other off, racing to beat red lights, and more.  While I do not have access to the video recordings on my school bus, I do have my own dash cam.  This video is a compilation of a lot of situations I happened to catch.

People are so impatient.  There's a lot of speeding out there and I captured some of it on my dash cam.  I generally drive pretty close to the speed limit, so when you see my video of someone speeding, you'll get a perspective of how much over the speed limit they are going.  Both in my school bus and in my own personal vehicle, people cross double yellow lines to pass me.

This summer I had a kindergarten student on Manitou Road in Ogden.  I've had conversations with his mother, who has complained about the number of people racing down Manitou Road. I once had a couple cars pass me while picking him up and my bus's red lights were on  This video shows two times when other drivers crossed the double yellow line to speed past me on Manitou Road.

I often see signs asking people to drive carefully and watch out for motorcycles.  I totally agree; everyone should always be checking twice before making a turn at an intersection.  However, there are a number of motorcycle drivers who ruin it for the others by racing their crotch rockets on the expressways.  To those riders I say, "Yes, I'm watching out for you, but you need to ride carefully, too! It goes both ways!"

I caught a lot of different situations on my dash cam and they are compiled in this video.  Hopefully, you're not in it!  And if you are, or you recognize someone, take this as a lesson to improve your driving habits.

In any case, the video has a happy ending!!  😉



https://youtu.be/QAx4bQlrxH0




2 comments:

  1. Fascinating collage. What do you use for a video editor? I assume you also have a big disk to warehouse all your footage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windows Movie Maker. I don't warehouse the footage. My dash cam records 3-minute segments, which get recorded over if I don't save them. If something happens that I want to save, I push a button and that clip gets saved. (If you look really hard at some of the clips, you'll see the camera jiggle slightly. That's me reaching up to push the button.) Then I'll transfer the clips to my laptop so I can get them edited.

    ReplyDelete